[H-GEN] /dev/log inside a chroot

David Jericho davidj at webmatchit.com.au
Wed Aug 23 23:50:48 EDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 03:08:28PM +1000, Rob Kearey wrote:
> > [1] Jokes about the uselessness of chroot'ing something under RedHat will
> > be met with a large baseball bat with a nail poking out the head.
>
> What issues would there be with chrooting in RedHat, as opposed to any
> other Linux distro, as further opposed to $FAVOURITE_UNIX?

Hang around in #linuxaus on openprojects.net and advocate RedHat. See how
far you get :)  I was actually expecting to see Byron pipe up on humbug-chat.
Haven't checked yet.

> Genuinely interested.

As they say, a Unix system is often only as secure as the administrator makes it.
RedHat has some buggy programs, but I ask of you blinded-by-the-faith Debian
fans out there, how many of the holes are actually software that would/should be
running on a production server?[1]

[1] Who uses sendmail anyway?

--
David Jericho, Systems Administrator