[H-GEN] No "shapes extension" in XFree86v4

gearon at ieee.org gearon at ieee.org
Sun Aug 20 07:58:31 EDT 2000

Someone last night mentioned that they couldn't start XFree86 ver4
properly.  The specific complaint was that the window manager complained
that the "Shapes" extension was not available.

I mentioned that a module was missing from /etc/X11/XF86Config, but
unfortunately was a bit busy at the time to help.  So this email is for
whoever has this problem... everyone else should ignore me  :-)

>From the XF86Config man page (Modules section):

  It is recommended that at very least the "extmod" extension module be
  loaded.  If it isn't some commonly used server extensions (like the
  SHAPE extension) will not be available.

So the following line must appear in the module section of your
/etc/X11/XF86Config:
    Load        "extmod"

Personally, my modules section looks like this:

Section "Module"
# This loads the double buffer extension
    Load        "dbe"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
    Load        "glx"
# This loads the DRI module
    Load        "dri"

EndSection

--
Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")