[H-GEN] Dual Booting WinNT/RH6.2 with a dash of SCSI

David Male dmale at one.net.au
Thu Aug 17 05:23:01 EDT 2000

> So LILO is on the MBR and lets you boot to the NT boot loader? Or are you
>
> What do you mean by hide/unhide in this context? Sorry but I really am
> just a programmer :-).
>
> I have gotten a little further. We told LILO to install itself into the
> bootsector of /dev/sda2. I then dd'd the first 512 bytes out to create a
> bootsector image for the NT boot loader... unfortunately this file seems
> to be blank (all zero bytes). I tried taking just the /boot/boot.b and
> this kind-of works but only gets up to to the 'LI'...
>
> ... LILO's man pages promise comprehensive documentation, but the RedHat
> distro we are using seems to ommit it :-).
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Raymond
> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.

Yeah. I did an fdisk /mbr from a windows boot disk, (probably it can be done
from a dos promt window in win anyway), then used a debian linix boot disk
to fire up linux and then installed LILO on the MBR which when it boots then
gives you the option of linux or dos. The dos choice then fires the NT boot
menu.

The hide or unhide is when you create more than one primary partitions
generally with Partition Magic. Dos doesnt like to see the other partitions
so your boot manager hides them (they are active and can be booted from if
called). This is seperate from the logical partitions in the extended
partition.
>From memory there is some writings about this on the StepxStep site at
http://users.nf/linux/ ,which is a private effort by caldera users.

If you only want win2k and a linux certainly use LILO.