[H-GEN] Dual Booting WinNT/RH6.2 with a dash of SCSI

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Tue Aug 15 04:50:26 EDT 2000

Hi all,

We are trying to get WinNT dual booting with RH6.2. We have succeeded with
this on all but one machine. That machine is a dual-processor SCSI
box. All the others a single processor IDEs.

The procedure we have followed is:
	(a) put /boot on own device
	(b) get first 512 bytes of /boot's device
		(ie dd if=/dev/[hs]da[0-9] of=BOOTSECT.LNX)
	(c) copy over to Windows C:
	(d) edit boot.ini, update permissions appropriately (+r +s)

This results in the NT boot loader displaying a helpful message letting
you choose Linux or NT. Under IDE I can choose Linux and get dropped to
LILO from whence I boot. Under SCSI I get a blank screen of death (not
even the first L appears).

Any ideas why this would work for NT/RH6.1/IDE but not NT/RH6.1/SCSI?

Oops. s/WinNT/Win2K Professional/g But you know what I mean ;-).

Cheers,

Raymond

---
raymond at humbug.org.au                     All that we see, or seem,