[H-GEN] Usenet server software for the poor-of-bandwidth

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Wed Aug 2 19:33:20 EDT 2000

Until last week, I enjoyed an NNTP newsfeed from netcom.com (fed to
our US office, then down a private interoffice frame relay link to a
tired old SCO Unix box (which I have nursemaided for several years
now) running INN 1.x here in Toowong).

Alas the PHBs decided to change ISPs.  They of course neglected to ask
new ISP if they do newsfeeds.  They don't.

So I'm contemplating obtaining a feed here in Oz.

We have a Telstra BigPond direct permanent dialup acct (free newsfeed
but the link is volume charged), and some Telstra ISDN links, and various
other dialup accounts.

(We have a lot of ISP accounts becuase we build and test internet
access servers, and like to make sure our stuff hangs together with
all sorts of ISP arrangements).

(Digression: I have Optus cable at home, which has a *very* nice
newsserver, loooong expire times.  Highly recommended.)

A full(ish) feed like I previously enjoyed is out of the question.

Any recommendations for pull-feed arrangements?    Are there any
servers that act basically like an on-demand caching server?

Advice appreciated,
                        --cjb

--
 ------------------ Linux hackers do it in protected mode -------------------
 | Christopher Biggs - Software Engineer, Stallion Technologies, Australia  |