[H-GEN] Compiling errors - 2.2.14

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Mon Apr 17 03:07:30 EDT 2000

Hi All,

I am trying to compile a 2.2.14 kernel (downloaded earlier today from
ftp.kernel.org) that has been patched with the 2.2.14-ow2 security
enhancement.

All seems to behave itself perfectkly until, during the make bzImage stage,
I get the following error:

as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
make[1]: as86: Command not found
make[1]: *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

I have had a look at the bits of code that make sense to me (not much, I
must admit) and cannot see why this is failing.  Its obviously something
simple - probably some software I have not installed here.

I have the following software installed
Mandrake 7.0.2 (latest), currently running the 2.2.14-15 kernel
gcc-2.95.2-3.mdk

My .config file enabled modules, as I want to use this kernel on my
firewall.  I'm really stuck here - me and my limited Linux experience!

Oh, BTW, if I was to have a Linux box set up for a client of mine as a
firewall/masquerading/IP forwarding box, who'd I contact to have this done
properly?

Regards,
Hilton Travis