[H-GEN] newbie help

Jason McDonald jasonm at foxboro.com.au
Sun Apr 2 19:04:39 EDT 2000

> > > 3: Periodic mouse problems.  Occasionally on boot-up, I have no mouse.
> >
> > turn usb off in your cmos
>
> My system is an ancient steam-driven Pentium 133 with no usb.  I noticed
> that the mouse *always* disappeared if I bootup with the modem powered
> up (it's on the other serial port).

This sounds like the mouse and modem could be trying to use the same irq.
I think you can check this by looking at one of the /proc files --
/proc/interrupts perhaps.  (Can't check the filename now, I'm stuck on a
windows box).

If this is the case, the easiest solution is to move the mouse to a PS2
mouse port if you have one (and have the correct adapter for the mouse).

Alternatively, you might be able to do some good by using the setserial
program somewhere in the startup scripts (where exactly will depend on
your distribution -- on SuSE, /etc/rc.d/boot.local is a good place).  See
the setserial manpage for more info.

Good luck,
J.