[H-GEN] Aid and Assistance Sought

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Apr 2 07:52:19 EDT 2000

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>
> Reg Voss wrote:
>
> >         Adapter is a SiS 6326 Chipset 6326 AGP rev Ho 4MB
>
> The SiS video chipsets are notororiously awful - slow and buggy. Been
> there, done that. I know that RedHat has given up on them - they're not
> compiled in by default anymore - you have to get the SRPM and modify the
> spec file yourself.
>
> Just get a good Matrox card and be done with it, unless your have a
> perverse interest in crappy hardware.

I have found the SIS 6236 (especially the ACER version of it PA50 I think it
is) to be neither slow nor buggy when implimented properly.

A good Matrox card might be OK but for most non-gamers is overkill and also
most Matrox cards are in the $200 to $400 range. Personally I use TNT or TNT2
cards with 16 or 32 Mb RAM in the price range $100 to $150. I believe that
Riva/NVidia have demonstrated a much closer affinity to Linux than other
chipset manufacturers. I think we need a better answer for those people who
spend a few hundred dollars on a computer to do general purpose computing than
recommending they go out and spend maybe $300 on a new video card.

I can remember the time when Matrox suffered from the same problem  - abscence
of drivers. I think you could get drivers from the SuSe site then. Remember the problems
with the Diamond drivers with no help from
the manufacturers. The problem is broader than that. When a new card is
distributed the Windows drivers are with it but Linux drivers have to wait
often 6 to 12 months. When Linux is seen by these manufacturers as a very
significant market they will be cooperative as NVidia has been (and others). My
observation is that manufacturers consider Linux much more important than they
did just a couple of years ago but ultimately, the installed base will be the
final arbiter.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au