[H-GEN] newbie help

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 02:38:26 EST 2000

>> And ownership is root/root ?  This is probably your problem then.  Try
>> (as root) 'chmod 666 /dev/audio' and probably the same for /dev/dsp.
>
>Craig, thanks heaps - this seems to have fixed like 95% of my problems.

Beauty !

>...and playing lovely sounds.

<yecht> I'm a firm believe that computers should speak only then
        they're spoken too ! :-)

>*some* wav files are coming over as white noise.  I'm wildly guessing
>that the ones that sound OK are 8bit?  And maybe there's something wrong
>with the setup so 16bit ones aren't working?

I ain't a sound person I'm afraid - it sounds plausible.  Can you grab a
couple of wav files, one that works and one that doesn't and check 8 vs
16 bit on them ?  Probably the command 'file sound.wav' will tell you.

>If you look at tha attached file, there's sort of *two* numbers where
>the DMA should be?
>
>Card config:
>Generic PnP support
>Avance Logic ALS1xx at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,0
>OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388
>SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5

>1,0 or something that looks a mite dodgy.

It does a little.  From the docs:

   Avance Logic ALS100 - This card is supported; setup should be as for
   a standard Sound Blaster 16.

And looking up SB16 gives:

io       I/O address of the Sound Blaster chip (0x220,0x240,0x260,0x280)
irq      IRQ of the Sound Blaster chip (5,7,9,10)
dma      8-bit DMA channel for the Sound Blaster (0,1,3)
dma16    16-bit DMA channel for SB16 and equivalent cards (5,6,7)
mpu_io   I/O for MPU chip if present (0x300,0x330)

So the irqs and addresses look plausible (dunno about the OPL), but the
second dma channel ("drq") should be a 5,6 or 7 if we believe the docs.
And since that is the 16-bit dma address, then that would match your
earlier guess.

Did Corel's set-up ask you for these during the installation ?  Or were
they autodetected ?  Look through the output of 'dmesg' to see what the
kernal thought as it configured it.  If sound is loaded as a module (do
a 'lsmod' to see if 'sb' is listed), then you can probably change how
it's loaded to give a specific option (something like 'insmod sb
dma16=5').  If it's a module, then as a test try:
   rmmod sb
   insmod sb dma16=5
and see if that fixes it.  If so, then that's the permanent chnge you
need to make.  But exactly where this is being done on a Corel setup I
wouldn't know.  You could try simply adding a line:

               option sound dma16=5

to your /etc/conf.modules .

If it's built into your kernel (as opposed to being a module), then
you're probably looking at a kernel compile I'm afraid.

HTH,

C.