[H-GEN] confusion re device namings

Ben Carlyle benc at foxboro.com.au
Tue Sep 28 06:04:14 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Clinton Roy wrote:

> I know I'll get into trouble for this, but I've been getting rid of my
> (badly sized) partitions for /home /usr etc and just been shoving them
> all in the one partition, currently I've got:
>
> hda1  Boot  Primary  Linux ext2   2944.66
> hda5        Logical  Linux ext2   1266.70
> hda6        Logical  Linux swap  98.71

> now, the problem is, how do I make a file system on hda1?
> When I boot up, some part of the kernel maps hda5 to hda1, why, i
> don't know...

I have delayed this posting for a few hours in case someone with
more knowledge on this subject popped up, but I feel compelled
to speak on this issue.

My understanding of the partitioning scheme used on PCs is that
there are four "primary" partitions, which are the true partitions
mapped out somewhere in the first disk sector.  The remaining
partitions are not mapped in the first disk sector, but have their
information written into the primary partitions.  /dev/hda5, thus,
would turn up as a "child" of /dev/hda1.

I personally don't like to mess with logical or "extended"
partitions.  I like to keep it simple.  I believe, however,
that there is no danger in using hda5 and hda1
simultaneously.  Certain system utilities such as fdisk and
mke2fs may know more than I on this issue.

Benjamin.
(Don't forget to press that "v" key before you leave fdisk.
 v for verify saves doing it all again when the partitions
 argue :)