Stallman (was Re: [H-GEN] SUID, and Unix groups [long])

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Thu Sep 16 10:17:40 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 10:01 16/09/99 EST, you wrote:
>.. because you get clearer sound, a longer life, no degradation over time,
>and instant seeking.  And you can fit more on a CD.  Such as all sortsa cool
>things about the movie that get crammed onto some DVDs.
>
>There's a Linux DVD project, I'm not sure how far along it is though.  I
>prefer to watch such things on a television anyway, my monitor is too tiny.
>:)

Kernel Traffic (and linux-kernel) had something about this the other week.
Apparently there is some progress, but DVDs use trade-secret means to
prevent copying and enforce things like "only to be played in the USA".

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only