[H-GEN] Debian CDs in Brisbane

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Tue Sep 14 09:17:17 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 05:38 14/09/99 +1000, you wrote:
>> Why not order them from either LSL Australia or EverythingLinux.
>
>I would suggest avoiding LSL-- their media is cheapass (my Debian2.1
>i386 binary#1 died after a month, which I half-expected after
>examining the gold CDs I got) and their customer service is of the
>same standard-- expect 3-4 weeks replacement time.  They also don't
>verify their discs.

I have to buy CDs because the ones I have from LSL Australia have just
failed: they worked at first, but now you can't read the root directory (or
the equivalent on iso9660).  I would say "well, these things happen",
except that these are the third set of CDs I've had from them.  The first
time I was sent Sparc discs rather than i86, and the replacement discs were
unreadable.  Worse, the errors only occurred halfway through the discs, so
I'd blown away the existing filesystem before I discovered that.

They did replace them promptly, but it's not the same: I'd put aside an
evening to do the work but couldn't go through with it.

So, I would recommend using somebody else until they clean up their act: I
appreciate somebody trying to support alternative operating systems, but
they only harm it by producing low-quality products.

Also, if you're about to install from CD then try to check the md5sums
first.  This should be done by the manufacturer, but you might save
yourself a lot of grief by double-checking.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only