[H-GEN] IDE setup

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Sun Sep 12 01:20:11 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Hi all,

I've just picked up an IDE hard drive to put in my entirely scsi system.  Only,
I'm having some real trouble with it.

Using "make menuconfig" I went into "Block Devices  --->"

In here I selected:
"Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support"
"Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support"
as modules, and

"Generic PCI IDE chipset support"
"Generic PCI bus-master DMA support"
"Use DMA by default when available"
as built-in (no module option for these).

I recompiled, etc, but when I booted and did a modprobe I didn't get any access
to /dev/hda (or any other hd? node).

dmesg reported:
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

Which I'm told is reasonably normal, but I should have an entry describing the
drive after the ide0 line.

So then I decided to compile the first 2 options in, rather than compiling them
as modules.  This still hasn't helped.

Now I KNOW that the drive works with SCSI, since I can boot using a DOS floppy
and I've partitioned it with the DOS fdisk.  If DOS can see it, then surely
Linux can!!!

Any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated!

--
Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will
fling an enormous rock at your head.")