[H-GEN] This may be old hat to some, but...

Clinton Roy s344025 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 9 19:37:52 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

hello folks

Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au> writes:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
> Unix-related topics. ]
>

> I found this in the Linux manpages (man 7 environ, iirc), and have
> tested it on digital unix hosts running tcsh too, so I'm curious to
> know just how widespread it is.
>
> If you set the `HOSTALIASES' environment variable to point to a file
> formatted like /etc/hosts, it acts as a per-*user* alias file.  Handy
> for those inconvenient shells where you don't have root access.  :)
Well, I *finally* got around to having a look at this feature (ticking
articles is a good way of making sure you eventually get around to
doing somthing about them, they look so ugly ;) only to find that i
can't get it working :/

latent at cloisters ~ 1 $ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
latent at cloisters ~ 0 $ export HOSTALIASES=~/.hosts
latent at cloisters ~ 0 $ cat $HOSTALIASES
192.168.40.74   stleo047.stleo.uq.edu.au        melchior
192.168.40.96   stleo066.stleo.uq.edu.au        balthasar
<hosts that you don't need to know about snipped ;>

latent at cloisters ~ 0 $ telnet melchior
melchior: Unknown host

i can't get it to work under tclsh either
% set HOSTALIASES ~/.hosts
~/.hosts
% telnet balthasar
balthasar: Unknown host
child process exited abnormally

the only thing that i can see different (that i can do something
about) is the format of the hosts file, but those lines worked fine in
/etc/hosts

i just hope jason doesn't get too upset with the mispelt hostnames,
and yes, there is a casper :)

byebye
--
``it's the perfect hassle, for the perfumed kiss''
			- Smashing Pumpkins, Daphne Descends