[H-GEN] Rights

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Sun Sep 5 23:09:41 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 22:07 5/09/99 +1000, you wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
>Unix-related topics. ]
>
>On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Harry Phillips wrote:
>
>> When I mount my FAT32 partition under linux it simulates the rights
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x    root    root

If you did use chmod, where would it store that information?  There's
nowhere in the fat filesystem to put the mode (with the exception of the
readonly bit.)   Therefore you should do as Michael said.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only