[H-GEN] Creating a directory in a group of /usr/username directories

Steven Lawrance steven at sia.net.au
Sat Oct 30 00:17:58 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 01:50:56PM +1000, Hilton Travis wrote:
> I need to be able to create a directory called "tutorials" inside all the
> /usr/student/dipmm01 to /usr/student/dipmm20 accounts on an SGI Origin 2000.
> Without manually creating this directory in each user's home, is there any
> perl or awk script that can achieve this?

Use your shell.  Something like:
cd /usr/student
for user in dipmm??; do mkdir ${user}/tutorials; chown $user ${user}/tutorials
done

> It look slike I should learn one of these languages.  Which one (NOT
> FLAMEBAIT) would be the best for this sort of application - creating
> directory structures?

I'd suggest you learn a little awk anyway, it's quite handy from time to time.
Have a read of O'Reilly's ``sed & awk''.

HTH
-stl