[H-GEN] AGP video cards under X

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Tue Oct 19 09:38:41 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Robert Brockway wrote:
> This, as you can imagine, was very annoying - it felt like I was using a
> windows box, being concerned about heavy disk activity causing a lockup
> when running this Xserver.

Well I haven't worked out the problems with the box yet.  It still hangs
a a regular basis, no mattr what I do.  I'm just assuming that it's one
of the well documented 2.2.12 SMP bugs, and I'm waiting for 2.2.13.
However, I guess that it could be the X server.

> I am interested to hear of counter-examples, ie people who are impressed
> with their agp cards and prefer them to pci under X.

Well in terms of performance... superb.  I don't know about reliability,
but I've never seen better performance.  (Admittedly, it's a G400 and I
specifically bought it since I heard that its X performance was second
to none.)

--
Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I
will
fling an enormous rock at your head.")