[H-GEN] gnu make command-line target ordering problems?

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Oct 18 02:52:08 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Martin Pool wrote:

> No no.  I'm sure you knew this too, but it's such a trap it's worth
> pointing out: always use "&&" rather than ";", or the earlier command
> may fail (say, because you typed "make clen"), but scroll off the screen
> when the second goes ahead --> very confusing.

chuckle, and here we are, full circle, right back where the thread
started. ;)  I stand corrected on the specified behaviour of make, and
will vaguely consider breaking myself of my bad habit.

(see? bad habits should be stamped out when you're young.  That way we'll
have NO left handed people!)

> I guess the lesson from our home-grown system is that some tools (eg
> javac) are wierd enough that it's easier to write your own scripts than
> to try to bend make to them.

I don't know what javac does, but most compilers take source[s] and
produce object[s], be they bytecode or machine code, or object code, or
source in a new language.  And you can hence specify dependencies, and
hence have make take care of them ..

?

*shrug*

--