[H-GEN] gnu make command-line target ordering problems?

Byron Ellacott bellacott at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:54:50 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

>   make clean dep all install
>it's at least bad form: depending on the makefile, make could well
>decide that it doesn't _need_ to delete files because it's going to
>rebuild them later.  However,

I would consider this *wildly* incorrect behaviour under any circumstances;
regardless of what make *thinks* the "rm foo.o" command may do, I want make
to execute the command, not make assumptions about not needing to execute
it.  As you noted in a later post, using the -j flag could cause problems
with the "clean" target removing files created by the build target, but
since I don't use the -j flag (it often results in load blowout, especially
on single processor systems) the behaviour of the above command is exactly
what one expects.

I cannot see any way to get make itself to decide to remove a file, but I
did only give the info pages a cursory glance.

As a side note, I agree with Ben on the counter intuitive nature of having
those multiple targets executed in parallel.

--
bje