[H-GEN] seems like a problem

Stephen Brine sbrine at powerup.com.au
Wed Nov 10 22:37:45 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> >That can make a lot of difference.
> >Apart from that, 64MB is not much anymore, and fills pretty quickly when
> >you click that Netscape icon. ;)
>
>I run KDE 1.1.2 on a Pentium 133, 32MB of RAM, S3 Trio64V+ no problems.
>It's quite snappy, snappier than Win95 or even WinNT on the same machine.
>
> >  And the Trio3D support is relatively
> >new, and my usual complaints about S3 cards being so diverse and rarely
> >fully compatible.
> >
> >(My personal suspicion is the video card.)
>
>You may be right.  It's often the first problem when running X.  Stephen,
>did Mandrake install KDE by default, or did you install it straight
>afterwards, or did you have a working X windows environment previously?
>What version of XFree86 are you running?
mandrake installed kde by itself as part of the install. The setup is
identical to say redhat 6.0 install. The whole machine I only built last
night. What it does is after you tell it what V card you have and then what
monitor it does a probe of the card checks out what it is capable of
compared to what the monitor can handle then gives you an option to test
the config (much like what win9x does) it loads up x and then displays a
box in the middle saying "Can you read this" with a yes/no control buttons
then after 15 sec it times out and goes back to a CLI colour display. The
y/n bow itself took 15 mins to appear and then almost an hour to timeout
(the first time I waited 10 mins then reset) Mandrake 6.1 is only very
recent I only d'loaded it over the last 4 days. I sort of prefer RH but for
some reason it doesn't like running on this machine (okie I lied a bit
before I built the puter on a cardboard box last week with a borrowed power
supply and loaded rh 6.1 but the pretty install that it does wouldn't
detect the V card at all) XFREE86 is whatever the latest or second latest
is. I tink it is 3.3.5

okie I think that pretty much covers what the deal is

Steve B

Stephen Brine

WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~sbrine

E-Mail: sbrine at powerup.com.au

What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak