[H-GEN] Msql vs. Mysql and windows script launching

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Wed Nov 10 20:27:34 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Michael Anthon wrote:
> I'd go along with Chris's suggestion to have a look at PostGreSQL.  I have
> used it a little bit at home and it works nicely and there are Win32 ODBC
> drivers for it as well so you can connect to it from a windows box.  Quite
> possibly the other DBs you mentioned also have these drivers available, but
> I don't know.

MySQL has an ODBC driver. I have also used PostreSQL, it is a very good
Open Source product. I have found that PostreSQL offers more advanced
features than MySQL, but is more likely to have incorrectly implemented
simpler features. MySQL development seems to have worked the other way,
slowly implementing the simple stuff first. Both have worked well for me.

Raymond

---
raymond at humbug.org.au              The early bird catches the worm,
                                       but the second mouse eats the cheese