[H-GEN] long shot

Christopher & Lisa LeMoyne dragonthrone at iname.com
Sat Nov 6 06:04:27 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 22:17 05/11/99 +1100, you wrote:
>I am looking/wondering if there is any software for linux that is like
>protel  for drawing up schematics and producing PCB's

QCad may be worth a try... <http://www.qcad.org/>  It was recently
relicensed under the GPL (previously free to use for non-commercial use),
and it's a 2D CAD program.

A search on Freshmeat.net using 'schematic' turned up the following results:

Bartels AutoEngineer (X11/CAE)
Schematic and layout editor for printed circuit or integrated circuit design
License: commercial
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/07/16/900586908.html>

Eagle (X11/CAE)
Eagle EDA Software for Linux
License: free for non-commercial use
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/03/29/922737480.html>

Electric (X11/Scientific Applications)
CAD/EDA tool for multiple levels of design
License: GPL
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/10/12/908204988.html>

gEDA (X11/CAE)
gEDA is an collection of tools which are used to make electrical circuit
design
License: GPL
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/10/02/907380929.html>

Oregano (GNOME/Applications)
Schematic capture and circuit simulation application
License: GPL
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/10/30/941287661.html>

SATCAD (Console/CAE)
Schematic capture, pcb design and tooling package
License: GPL
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/07/26/932964550.html>

YA-EDA (X11/CAE)
A complete EDA tool for Linux
License: free to use but restricted
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/04/21/924700429.html>

A quick look reveals that around half of these are still in heavy
development, which doesn't help you for now (but may in the future).
However, Linux is fairly entrenched in the scientific sector, so I'm sure
there's something out there suitable.  Just do some quick searches.  Make
sure that you visit the homepage for any packages that interest you, as
Freshmeat may not have been updated to reflect any new version coming out.

'PCB' on Freshmeat.net turned up the following additional entry :

Pcb (X11/CAE)
Printed circuit board design
License: GPL
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/05/20/895711330.html>

'Layout' turned up the following additional entry:

Magic Layout System (X11/Scientific Applications)
A popular integrated circuit layout tool in common use in universities
License: freely distributable
<http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/10/16/940060478.html>

>Also is there a good place for finding linux software

Welll..... Freshmeat.net perhaps?

Regards,
Christopher