[H-GEN] Removeable Storage Devices

Marc Dergacz excal at kermit.humbug.org.au
Mon May 31 10:40:48 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Marc Dergacz <excal at kermit.humbug.org.au>)

hello,

I am trying to find a solution to a taxing
problem.  I have a iomega SCSI Zip drive.

When the device is mounted, the drive is locked
(as it should), and when I unmount it, the drive
is unlocked.  Now. I am putting in a system where
the server has several zip drives as backup units
but I want he drive to be sort of hot-swappable.

Here is what I am trying to do.  When a user puts
in a disk, the drive is *not* locked but mounted
automatically.  When the eject button is pressed,
the disk is unmounted and the disk ejects.  Sort
of the fashion that is used with PCMCIA devices.

I have looked through the mount man pages, fstab
etc but cant find anything whereby I can mount a
device but not lock it.  Same as how the Zip drive
works under winblows.  I was planning to write a
Perl Script for this but pondering even more it
seems to be a little out of my reach.

Does anybodty know of any software floating about
that does this?

Thanks

Marc Dergacz
excal at kermit.humbug.org.au