[H-GEN] general opinions on zone files

Mark Suter mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Wed May 19 11:14:41 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Mark Suter <mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au>)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, David Jericho wrote:

> Just going through some zone files, and I noticed a previous admin
> used to do be very explicit about zone files, whereas I've always
> tended to do things via assumed SOA's.

We at UQ always use the abbreviation wherever possible.  The
abbreviation, "@", the name of the zone, shouldn't be overlooked in
a small zone and can be used more than the typical once.

> What do humbuggers tend to prefer for the example domain this.domain?
> bleh				IN	A	192.246.382.100

This form has the added bonus that you can load the same zone more
than once.  For example, the following zone could be loaded for many
hosted domains, without any modification.

    @               IN      SOA     example.com hostmaster.example.com (
                    1999052001      ; serial (version)
                    3600            ; refresh period
                    1800            ; retry refresh this often
                    1800000         ; expiration period
                    86400 )         ; minimum TTL
                    IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
                    IN      NS      ns2.example.com.
                    IN      TXT     "Hostmaster"
                    IN      RP      hostmaster example.com.
                    IN      MX      100 mx1.example.com.
                    IN      MX      100 mx2.example.com.
                    IN      A       10.0.0.1

    localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
    www             IN      CNAME   @

> In reverse files (assuming a CIDR of 8{I've got that the right way haven't I})?

No, you haven't.  A traditional "Class C" is now known as a "slash 24".
For example, HUMBUG uses 192.168.105.0/24 routed via 130.102.165.43/32,
whilst UQ has 130.102.0.0/16 and APNIC has a few /8s spare :-)

> 100				IN	PTR	bleh.this.domain.

Definitely this form, is only to save the fingers.  Also, the same
benefits apply.  Don't you have a common gateway in all your networks?
Wouldn't a template be useful?

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au  | what you think I said, but I am not sure
PGP encryption is OK | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1162 2316  | what I meant.                  anonymous