[H-GEN] radio modems - the story so far.

Everist, Geoff everistg at switch.aust.com
Wed May 19 04:23:18 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Everist, Geoff" <everistg at switch.aust.com>)

Anyone considered Spread Spectrum Radio? Under certain emitted power
levels (about 0.5W ERP, IIRC) you do not require any license to use
spread spectrum radio. From memory there are 2 bands that can be used,
900MHz and 1.2GHz. The ideal choice would be 900MHz, as this has better
range and it is easier to get antenna's etc. Some decent Yagi antennae
for the user sites, and a good repeater location should allow you to get
reasonable coverage around Brisbane (effective radius of about 15km line
of site, I would guess)

I don't know off the top of my head of any 'hobby' type transceivers on
the market, but I'm sure there would be something about. They would be
more expensive than the 2M units, but _much_ cheaper than a Microwave
system.

Just a thought,

Geoff Everist