[H-GEN] radio modems - the story so far.

Bruce Campbell bc at thehub.com.au
Tue May 18 09:34:11 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Bruce Campbell <bc at thehub.com.au>)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Rob Kearey wrote:

> Sid Young wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to setup our own 10mBit wireless network around Brisbane?
> > What are the logistics of this?? Can it be done??
>
> Sure, if you don't mind paying $100k for a common carrier licen[s|c]e.

Hrm.  Not quite.

I'm currently looking at putting in place a 2meg microwave link using
equipment operating in the 2.4GHz range, which apart from the $$$cost of
the units, has no apparent restrictions on the usage thereof, apart from
don't point the thing where it will exceed allowable radiation standards.
(the sticking point with this is that Optus don't have a clue)

A few ISPs are already heavily into microwave networks in Brisbane, but
only 2meg mostly (because of the cost of the units), and if the use which
they are putting them to isn't commercial, well, the definitions need
revising anyway.

The idea of Humbug implementing such a network is... at last check of the
bank balance, we have enough to purchase a couple of antennas.  The actual
transceiver units, not a chance.

Radio modems are, IMHO, are not worth the effort unless you like doing
everything via batched protocols, which isn't so bad unless you are a
heavy interactive user (IRC, sshs to obscure locations etc).

Some other alternatives may be possible.

--==--
Bruce.