[H-GEN] A humbug WAN

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Sat May 15 21:18:47 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

Hi all.  Last week i came up with an idea for the club.  A Wide area
network.  I'm currently looking into the costs of 9k6 and 64k radio modem
units.

I mentioned this last night and after getting a positive reponse I decided
to put it to the list.

How many people would be prepared to pay for hardware to get them
connected to a humbug wan?  It'd be using ax25 I imagine. All connected
members would be on a broadcast network.

It could be used for many things...

- online gaming (best for the 64k option :)

- sharing resources.  Get around the volume charging that many users
  are stuck with.  Ie, why d/l a file over a volume charged link if
  someone on the wan has it available.  Offer things on the web and via
  ftp over the wan.

- possibility of wan users using it as their isp.  A number of club
  members now have permanent links so this is a possibility if they
  conencted to the wan.  I won't persue this one anymore here as we have
  many members who work for isps and discussing the merits of different
  isps has always been off topic.

- a learning experience - there could be valuable experience in this
  exercise.

I'm sure there are other uses.

My understanding of ax25 is limited but growing.  The ips are allocated
from a block of ips available for ax25 networks I believe.  Or we could
use private IPs and use connect the wan to the net via ip masquerade of
NAT.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au