[H-GEN] opengl

Andrae Muys a.muys at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu May 13 00:36:03 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Andrae Muys <a.muys at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Steve Elliott wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Elliott <steve at virtuozo.com.au>)
>
> Hi all,
> 	Currently, we have an application that has been developed and runs on
> Silicon Graphics hardware ( indy, indigo2,o2,octane, etc ) - this
> software takes scanned aerial photo's and enables the user to create a
> 3d model of the terrain contained in the photo's. This 3d model can be
> viewed on the sgi systems using lcd triggered glasses and emitters which
> give a 'proper' 3d stereo view with depth.
> 	We have recently completed a port to NT ( complete with 3d stereo view
> ), and i am currently investigating the feasibility of porting to Linux.
> My question is - would such a task be feasible under linux, or would the
> question be more relavent to a particular 'flavour' of linux ( red hat,
> debian, etc ) ? Where would i start ?
> 	As i am new to linux, let me know if my question is too 'stoopid', or
> steer me to a more relavent list if I am on the wrong one. :-)
> 	Many thanks ....

Yes it's feasible.  If you're lucky you might be able to get away with a
simple recompile, otherwise a port from SGI to linux isn't normally too
hard unless you've used some of SGI's `special' features.

The glasses however might be a problem.  I haven't heard of any support
for them under linux.

Andrae

Andrae Muys              "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately
andrae at humbug.org.au      explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte