[H-GEN] partitioning again

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue May 11 08:37:15 EDT 1999

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 10:31:55PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Windows and Debian, RedHat and Hurd, Free and NetBSD... Whatever.
> Yep, ok, 1 partition per OS, but other than that, my original question
> still stands - do we need to bother with partitioning anymore, or is it
> now a false idol :)

Well, `one partition per OS' isn't really great when you're moving from
one OS to ten.

A better solution would be to have things like FIPS for more than just FAT,
and resize at whim. I'm under the impression that there just aren't reliable
tools to do this for extfs and friends. But IANAV [0].

> > (Hmmm. Interesting. I no longer cound Linux as an `alternative' OS. Hmmm.
> > `9 out of 10 triple j listeners prefer linux?' ? ;)
> Is that a quote? :)

Well, I guess it is now.

It's probably not true though. Maybe in a year or two.

> Linux is still fringe, imho, but not alternative.  There are still alot
> of ppl who have heard of it but don't use it.

Then, dammit, it's time to move on. Where next? VSTa? Hurd? *BSD?

I wonder if anyone's picked up Self in the past few years, for that
matter...

Cheers,
aj

[0] I Am Not AltaVista

``[I]f you wrap the Internet around every person on the planet and
         spin the planet, software flows in the network.''
                             -- _Anarchism Triumpant_, Eben Moglen