[H-GEN] Email "from"

David Jericho davidj at in4free.com.au
Tue May 11 00:22:33 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Jericho <davidj at in4free.com.au>)

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 01:11:48PM +1000, Christopher Biggs wrote:

> Surely there's a Perl module to do this already!  Check CPAN.

Mail::Send is one I've had recent experience with, and I found it
very annoying. I could not get it for the life of me to inject
extra headers, so it was basically useless for me. I ended up
doing the above. Mail::Mailer was much more friendly. But
somehow I didn't feel like putting all the headers into a hash.

On an aside, does perl do funny things with permissions and tie?

I had an interesting situation, in which perl was reading the output
of a TACACS+ log, and updating byte counts etc. If I ran the script as
root, the tie'd db was updated fine. If I ran the script as user
"dialin", with permissions 0570, ownership dialin.root on this script,
and it was writing to /tmp with no previously created files, it would
create the files and that was it. Never write to them. No errors reported,
no nothing. Had me stumped. Oh well, it can run as root. I don't care[1]

[1] Yes I do actually, but I'll solve it another day when I'm bored
out of my tree[2].

[2] Wise cracks about evolutionary development and the like dutifully
ignored :)

--
David Jericho