[H-GEN] Modem connection strings

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Thu May 6 02:46:08 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Michael Anthon <mca at tams.com.au>)

I am trying to get my modem connection string logged using syslog.  My chat
script looks thusly

'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'REPORT' 'CONNECT'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATS2=255L1Q0V1&A3&C1&D3&K1&M4'
'OK' 'ATDT32587300'
'CONNECT' ''

And my modem connection string looks something a bit like this

CONNECT 53333/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS

This is using RH 5.2 with the debug option enabled in the ppp option file
for this interface.  This forces chat to be run with the -v option.  I was
hoping that with the -v and the "REPORT CONNECT" that the full connection
string would be logged, but it aint.  What I do get is this...

May  6 16:39:39 belial chat[14472]: ATDT32587300^M^M
May  6 16:39:39 belial chat[14472]: CONNECT
May  6 16:39:39 belial chat[14472]:  -- got it
May  6 16:39:39 belial chat[14472]: send (^M)

Adding the REPORT string had no effect.  I have a similar setup at home
which works nicely (debian) BUT the modem returns the CONNECT string as the
last string, not the first, so that is understandable.

Is there a way to get chat to log the complete connection string ?

Cheers
Michael Anthon