[H-GEN] obtaining a book on running linux

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed Mar 17 01:54:20 EST 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Frank Brand <fbrand at uq.net.au>)

Daehenoc wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Daehenoc <g.vickers at student.qut.edu.au>)
>
> hello guys - I want to get a book on running linux - I see a few on the
> www.lsl.com.au web site - is there one that anyone would recommend?

One of the best small books with very simple stuff is the APN booklet that came out with the Linux CD.

I think the best general purpose Linux book is Running Linux (O'Reilly about $59 at booksellers).

A good more detail type book is Linux Unleashed or Red Hat Linux Unleased by a guy with an Indian sounding name (Nabi Barkala or something like that).

Other than those, many of the books are very similar and very superficial. Many of them (O'Reilly included) are often rehashes of LDP output or man pages or How to's etc.

You could do worse than print out the on-line documentation and the LDP output.

#include <disclaimer.h>

Thats my $0.02 worth anyway

--
Frank Brand