[H-GEN] SAMBA Project

Craig Armour c.armour at kings.uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 10 19:09:23 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> The SMB protocol was meant to be used only on a LAN.  That is, you
> can't access SMB servers on the other side of a router.

actually you can... you need a wins proxy though for windows to find it.

using smbclient however the -I option always works for me

smbclient //server/share -I 192.168.xxx.xxx -U user

the -I option is very important if you setup samba as a wins client...
As it turns out, there are more than 1 NT servers in uq called
server.... and well it's not easy to access a computer when it's not
even yours ;)

> You can fake it, though, with something like the Point-to-Point
> Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), which is the M$ answer.  Alternately,
> you could use another VPN-like solution or even bridge it with
> NFS :)

or setup a wins server and have both boxes pointing to it... The only
reason why the smb protocol doesn't work over routers, is that smb is
protocol independant and can run over ipx and netbeui.  neither of which
are particularily routeable.  your windows box needs to be set up as
netbios over tcp which I think even if you have ipx installed with tcp,
windows will do anyway

HTH and as usual, lart me if I'm wrong

Cheers
Craig
Craig Armour                    c.armour at cltr.uq.edu.au
System Administrator             Joyce Ackroyd Building
Language Lab, University of Queensland   phone 33656916
Comments are my own and not of my employer