[H-GEN] Autofs and Samba

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Mon Jun 28 09:36:52 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi all,

I have RH6, Samba 2.0.4 (2.0.4 is going on soon) and autofs running on my
linux box here, and have managed to get autofs to work fine with the LS-120,
CD-ROM and floppy drive in the Linux box.  I cannot for the life of me get
autofs to mount a smb share from my Win98 box.

I can manually mount the smb share \\albatross\download to
/mnt/samba/download, but can't get autofs to do it.  The docs don't help
much.  I noticed that you have to actually type \\\\albatross\\download to
get it to map properly too - not mentioned in the docs either!

Also, is there any way to have the CD-ROM mapped to a letter in a login
script for my Win98 box, and have the share available even if there is no
disc in the drive when the Win98 box logs in?  I'd rather map it in the
login script than have to do it on the '98 box (for sake of cleanliness).

Thanks in advance,
Hilton Travis