[H-GEN] Strange Network Behaivour (resend)

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 06:27:16 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Eldershaw <ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk>)

I sent this earlier, but it didn't come back.  Our servers are doing
their well known impression of a yo-yo at the moment - not sure if it
went out, but my copy was lost, or if it never made it out.  Apologies
if you are seeing this for the second time...

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, JOEL MICHAEL wrote:

>ping'ing a host produces the error "ping: sendto: Operation not
>permitted"

To send ICMP packets (which is what ping does), the program requires root
level priviledges.  Try running it as root, to see if that works.

If it does, then your permissions are broken: do 'ls -l /bin/ping' and
check that there is an 's' in the permission list (for setuid) and that it
is owned by root - this should get it working for the average user.  To
correct the first: 'chmod +s /bin/ping', and the second: 'chown root
/bin/ping'.

HTH,

C.