[H-GEN] SAMBA Project

Anthony Ison anthony.ison at star.com.au
Wed Jun 9 21:31:12 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Anthony Ison <anthony.ison at star.com.au>)

Hey guys.

I haven't done a whole lot with SAMBA yet.  I have managed to set it up,
though - and got my little home LAN working just nicely.  Unfortunately, one
of those PC's belongs to my flat mate, who is moving out really soon.  Just
wondering if it possible to use Samba over the net?  Is that any different
to a local LAN?

I know there are security issues here.....  We'll just have to hide those
passwords from all those big nasties out there on the net.  :-)

Chris doesn't like changing things on his computer much once everything is
working.....  but using Windoze, who can blame him, hey?  He has learnt
pretty much how to use mapped drives.

So, is this actually possible, or do I have to try something else?

I remember the Uni providing some docs on security & Win 95/98.  Is this a
real issue, or just a precaution.  Is it easy to get access to a computer,
just because they use mapped drives?
Of course, if there is a real security risk, I'd better let him know about
it.....

		ANTHONY ISON
		SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
		mailto:anthony.ison at star.com.au