[H-GEN] sun Console

David Makepeace D.Makepeace at uq.net.au
Wed Jun 9 00:15:19 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Makepeace <D.Makepeace at uq.net.au>)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Steve Elliott wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Elliott <steve at virtuozo.com.au>)
>
> David Makepeace wrote:
>
> > I must have been using Solaris for too long,
>
> Seems like an admission of guilt there Dave ;-) or regretfulness !

No.  Ever heard of sarcasm?  ;-)

I think Solaris is far superior to SunOS 4.x, and most other operating
systems.  I have used many versions of SunOS from 3.2 (on a Sun 2)
onwards.  Solaris 2.0 & 2.1 [1] (SunOS 5.0 & 5.1) were horribly buggy and
slow, and that bad early experience caused a lot of people to stick with
SunOS 4.x.  The fact that it was a little _different_ from SunOS 4.x kept
others from migrating - people don't like change.  Finally, the myth that
SunOS 4.x was faster and more stable persisted and caused others to stay
with SunOS 4.x and not even bother trying Solaris.

There are a small number of valid reasons to stick with SunOS 4.x, like
very limited memory (it could run in 8 MB) or legacy SunView programs.

Whenever I see a Sun still running SunOS 4.x I tend to wonder what the
owner's motivation is.  Of course I would never try to dictate to anyone
as to what operating system they should run and I would much rather use an
old SunOS system than use Windows (although NT can be made almost
tolerable).

Just my $0.02

Cheers,
David.

[1]  Solaris 1.x was a retro-marketing term for SunOS 4.1.x with
     OpenWindows.  Everyone calls Solaris 1.x "SunOS" and Solaris 2.x
     simply "Solaris".