[H-GEN] Volunteer work

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Tue Jun 8 20:31:18 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

Hi all.  Way back at AUUG97 I was approached by Charlie Brady of Slug
fame.  We had a discussion and I agreed at the time to asist with the
setup and maintanence of a lan for Community Aid Abroad.  At the time we
also discussed the possibility of other humbuggers getting involved.

CAA have finally authorised it, and a volunteer from Sydney is coming up
to start setting up the lan.  They are interested in humbuggers helping
with the setup, and then maintanence.

I was thinking that some humbuggers who want more Sysadmin experience to
put on the CV might want to get involved.  i've asked if CAA will be
issuing any sort of certificate of appreciation, so that such a
certificate could be put with a CV.  In my experience employers would look
favourably upon the volunteer work and the fact that it was Sysadmin work
done on a working network - not just something setup to be played with.

The amount of time you put in is entirely up to you. The idea is to have
several people doing it so that the load is light.

Thre lan consists of a Linux server and win3.11/win95 workstations.
http://www.nlc.net.au/~charlieb/office.html has a description of the
Sydney office, which is pretty straight forward - the Brissie office would
mimick this setup.

Anyone interested should email me.
Cheers,
	-Robert