[H-GEN] Linux kernel 2.2 and RedHat 6.0 Stability

Paul Gearon pag at tams.com.au
Wed Jun 2 21:43:13 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Paul Gearon <pag at tams.com.au>)

>Is anyone using RH6.0 in a "production" environment yet and finding it
>stable?  Does anyone have anything "bad" to say about using it in a
>samba file server, print server (lpd), part time nfs server, and X?

Not in production.  Only at home.  It seems nice.  X is definately faster
than the one that came with RH5.2 (I don't know what the RH5.2 version of X
was)

>I would be using kernel 2.2.9 (the one that comes with rh6.0 doesn't
>seem particularly stable).

Wouldn't know about that.  The first thing I did was upgrade the kernel.

>Any other tips?

Yes.  If you boot to init level 5 then by default it runs prefdm and not
xdm.  I don't know what prefdm is exactly, nor can I find any documentation
on it.  It does an X login for you, with a nice widget to select the window
manager you want, but it doesn't seem to accept broadcasts from X servers
like xdm does.

If you have no xterms, or you don't boot init 5, then this won't bother you.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I
will fling an enormous rock at your head.")