[H-GEN] Removeable Storage Devices

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Tue Jun 1 21:40:15 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

Byron Ellacott wrote:

> the "sync" option stands for Surely You Need Caching, or synchronous,
> depending on which part of your body you are speaking from.  It makes things
> ugly and slow.  It provides a little extra safety when a filesystem could be
> removed from Linux control at very short notice (eg, *clik* oh, was I
> supposed to shut down after making those important file changes?)

Does Linux do write-ordering with -o sync?  From memory it doesn't, so
sync doesn't guarantee safety.

--
Martin Pool

"At the IFIP congress in 1971 I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Eiichi
Goto of Japan, who cheerfully complained that he was always being
eliminated"
   -- Don Knuth, in _Structured Programming with Go To Statements_