[H-GEN] SETI at home

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Wed Jul 28 22:56:28 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi Anthony,

> > > They would have seen shows like Rikki Lake, General
> > > Hospital, Days of Our Lives and Judge Judy.
> > Valid point, but our transmissions have only been going out of
> > here for less than a century, and I doubt there's any life of
> > significant intelligence within that range.  So fortunately they
> > shouldn't have heard about us yet!
>
> Hmmmm. Maybe we should pool our resources and setup a TV station that
> broadcasts nothing but "Please disregard previous television signals".
>
> Still, any such aliens would have seen _Buffy_ too. And if they wanted to
> catch the latest episodes, they'd have to come here physically so as not
> to have to wait x00 years for the signals to reach them.
>
> Hmm. So instead of running SETI, the True Believers in ETI should join
> the Buffy fanclub instead.

Well, you have a point there.  Any ETI out there will see Buffy and WANT to
come to check her out.  As far as B-Grade horror/comedies go, this has to be
one of the best that I have seen in quite a few years.  They sure cast Sarah
Michelle Gellar well in this!  (Yum!)

Anyway, to keep this conversation on track has there been any other people
except for me who are interested in joining the "Team Humbug" SETI at home
project?  Maybe we can all sign a petition to get an episode or three of
Buffy shot in our humble little town as an incentive?  :-)

Regards,
Hilton