[H-GEN] SETI at home

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Wed Jul 28 19:25:02 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi Harry

> What the hell is RC5 anyway, I bet they aren't doing something as cool as
> looking for inteligent life from another galaxy. You are list as a
> co-discoverer if you are the one that processes the WU that finds
> something.

Just think about this for a minute.  If there is intelligent life elsewhere
in the universe, and they had the technology to search for us before we
searched for them, then they would have seen TV signals from Earth being
transmitted into space.  They would have seen shows like Rikki Lake, General
Hospital, Days of Our Lives and Judge Judy.  If they really ARE intelligent,
then they'd make sure any transmissions they make would appear random to us.
Would you like to meet extra terrestrial life and if be the ET form of Rikki
Lake?  I think not!

BTW, I'm running the SETI at home program myself in the hope they haven't seen
our TV shows yet.

> Hey don't laugh, there was a time when the earth was flat and man
> couldn't fly.
> Now a 24hr flight to London cost about $2k.

Why would someone pay $2k to go somewhere miserable and wet?  Melbourne's a
LOT cheaper!  :-)

Regards,
Hilton