[H-GEN] Wireless connections between buildings

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Mon Jul 26 09:00:27 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any solution that can provide wireless
connection between 2 buildings across the road from each other.  Telstra
says they are unable to pull a line between the buildings, and they want to
install a number of OnRamp services in each building - for data and phone -
and connect these through the Telstra network.

The main problem with this is that there will be a fair amount of data being
transferred between the buildings, and the traffic charges will be quite
high.  A wireless solution, I feel, may provide a much better overall
solution to their data needs, and will reduce the need for one (at least)
OnRamp ISDN connection.

This is for a non-profit organization - and they therefore do not want to
spend exhorbitant amounts of money to transfer data between offices.

Any suggestions would be welcome, as well as software required to sort this
out.  I have Windows 9x/NT experience and some (limited) Linux experience
myself, and would welcome someone on the Linux/BSD side of the fence who
would be able to implement this.  Please email or phone me directly for
further information.  Prices for labour can be discussed then.

Regards,
Hilton Travis