[H-GEN] CD Burners.

Gearon, Paul pgea at qcom.com.au
Sun Jul 25 18:46:04 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Gearon, Paul" <pgea at qcom.com.au>)

> Looking to buy a CD Burner.  Any advice?
>
> Probably SCSI, and I currently plan to house it in a spare Sun lunch
> box
> external drive case I have around.

I've just bought the SCSI Yamaha 4416 (4x4x16).  It was about ~$550
though YMMV.  cdrecord supports it, and it handles rewriting OK (you
have to blank the CDRW before writing to it, but that doesn't bother
me).  As a CDROM it's good, as a CDR it good, and as a CDRW it's also
great.

One caveat: a few minutes after I put a music CD in, amd brought my
system to it's knees.  I haven't had time to track down why yet.
Ejecting the CD made my system responsive again, as did killing amd.
(OTOH amd has been causing me so much grief for years now that maybe I
should stop running it all together.  Everytime I ask for help with it
no one seems to know the answers  :o)

Paul Gearon
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.  (Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all
the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")