[H-GEN] RH 6 CD's

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu Jul 22 00:53:17 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Frank Brand <fbrand at uq.net.au>)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Steve Elliott wrote:
> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Elliott <steve at virtuozo.com.au>)
>
> Frank Brand wrote:
>
> > The two are nearly identical (Mandrake has a few extra non-consequential
> > bits) but the Mandrake disk installs kernel 2.2.9 from memory while the RH disk
> > installed 2.2.5 last I saw
>
> Hi all,
> 	Mandrake appears to be built on elements of rh anyway - is that right ?
> 	What other goodies does mandrake have on top of rh ?

Mandrake 6 and RH 6 are nearly identical. A full RH 6 installation is 1118 Mb
or thereabouts and mandrake is 1145 Mb or thereabouts. I do not think there are
any substantial differences at all. I have not done a really thorough check but
I suspect it might be that Mandrake includes a bit more graphics or KDE things.

Mandrake uses RH 6 as the underlying distribution.

The major advantage (some would not see this is an advantage) is that the KDE
innterface in Mandrake is much closer to Windows GUI and is thus a lot easier
for new linuxers to negotiate.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au