[H-GEN] New Kernel compile fails to boot

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Mon Jul 12 20:45:10 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

Hi Paul

> > > I tried to do my first kernel compile (2.2.10) this afternoon, and
> > > all seemed to go relatively well.  When I went to do a "make deps"
> > > the /usr/include/errno.h file failed on line 36 due to the following:
> > > file not found: bits/errno.h so I changed this line in errno.h to
> > > read /usr/include/errno.h and the compile proceeded without any
> > > failures.  I then did a make modules and make modules_install with
> > > no issues.
> >
> > Again, thanks to all who have offered help - I chose the wrong
> > processor type - easy mistake!  :-)
> >
> Glad to hear that it's working.
>
> I'm curious though, any idea what went wrong with the bits/errno.h file?
> It looks like one of those platform dependent files.  Changing
> /usr/include/errno.h to include /usr/include/errno.h would have made
> that line effectively do nothing, so bits/errno.h would seem to be
> unnecessary.

I just had a bit more of a look into my Linux box, and found that this file
was meant to be pointing to /usr/include/bits/errno.h - so I have now
changed the /usr/include/errno.h to reflect this.  I'll do a recompile
sometime in the future and see how it goes.  I do find it a bit strange that
<bits/errno.h> didn't find /usr/include/bits/errno.h though!

I have an issue with NFS not starting properly, but as I am not running NFS
right now, I'll look into this before I need to run NFS.

Regards,
Hilton