[H-GEN] Sucky mail clients (was: Mail problems... SOLVED !! ( maybe))

Marshall, Joshua MarshallJ at switch.aust.com
Thu Jul 8 21:19:30 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Marshall, Joshua" <MarshallJ at switch.aust.com>)

> BTW, if you want a better mail client than MS-Lookout then you can
> always use "telnet mailhost.net.au 110".  (Anyone know how to talk to
> IMAP?)

Yeah IMAP is really nice - although a little harder to use on the telnet.
It actually numbers all the replies as per your requests so you can see
which of your requests it's responding to.  Also VERY nice that it can
summarise all your emails for you (makes it easy to see which ones you won't
bother to retrieve).  I use that feature on a perl script I wrote for a web
mailer a while back - heaps faster and easier than parsing the "TOP n n"
results you get from a POP session.

Have a read of the IMAP RFC (1730) - it's big but interesting.

Josh.