[H-GEN] Tape backup from Linux to Sun

Rob Irvine robi at hastdeer.com.au
Tue Jul 6 01:36:15 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Irvine <robi at hastdeer.com.au>)

  I am trying to do a tape backup from a Linux Redhat 5.2 Intel disk to
Sun Sparc Solaris7 8mm Exabyte tape drive.

 I use the following command on Linux

 /sbin/dump 0fu sunipaddress:/dev/rmt/0 /dev/hda2

 This is working (I think, although I have not tried a restore yet) but
my problem  is that it appears to need 30 tapes to do  the backup when I

only have about 1Gb of data to copy and the Exa tape is  apparently
capable of backing up to 14Gb compressed.  I though it might have
something to do with differences between Solaris and Linux tape density
or length defaults and accordingly  have tried setting  the density to
6250 with a "d6250" arg but Linux doesn't like this and also  tried
using /dev/rmt/0c assuming "c" is to compress the data.

 None of this makes any difference that I can see.
 The Sun is a ufs system and the Linux is ext2.

 Any suggestions would be appreciated direct to my email address of
 robi at hastdeer.com.au

 Thankyou.