[H-GEN] Transferring a RH Linux system from one drive to another

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 12 17:18:35 EST 1999

>After doing this, and attempting to mount all the partitions necessary on
>this drive, it became apparent I could not mount any partitions after
>sde10.  Is there a limit on the number of partitions? does this only apply
>to certain drives?

Do you have the necessary device nodes made ? (ie. /dev/sde11)  If not,
try making them (/dev/MAKEDEV should do it).  You may have sda11, but
not sde11 (it's not everyday that someone want it !).

>> > There are a few problems here, apart from just getting the files
>> > across, mainly related to boot up:
>> > 	LILO has to be made to point to the right root device
>
>would the boot sector on the new drive remain unaffected? or would I have
>to point lilo to the right partition again after copying files.

I would worry about everything else first.  Then when the hdd is
otherwise set up and in the new machine in the place it is expected to
permanently occupy: boot off a floppy, edit /etc/lilo.conf (if
necessary) and re-run lilo.  Should be right then.

>> The boot partition must be within the first 1024 cylinders (lovely legacy
>> that), and sometimes will not work if spans that magic number.  10MB for
>
>boot partition is 150 Mb

The above only applies to (E)IDE hdds.  Anything is fine for SCSI (which
you apparently have).

C.