[H-GEN] Routing and stuff

Murray Spork murray at bucks.net
Wed Dec 15 12:33:49 EST 1999

Hi,

I've been using a linux box to masquerade for my LAN (3 windoze clients and one
linux workstation). I use the 192.168.8.0/255 private network for my LAN.

Yesterday telstra direct activated my new permanent access account (via modem).
:-)

I have been allocated the sub-class C network of 203.46.211.40/29 which gives me
6 usable IPs.

I am not sure what strategy to adopt at this stage.

I would like to keep the workstations masqueraded. I can't think of
any reason why they (except maybe the linux workstation) need to be directly on
the Internet (it's safer to masquerade them surely?).

I intend having a least 2 linux servers on the internet at this stage -- a
firewall and a webserver. The webserver is also doing file serving (using Samba)
for the LAN.

But this would entail running 2 different networks and I'm not sure how to do
this. Would I have to have 2 NICs in a gateway between my private LAN and the
sub-class C network?

For example --

Telstra
Gateway
139.130.141.99 [Telstra Gateway IP]:

firewall
ppp0 139.130.141.105 [My WAN IP]
eth0 203.46.211.41    [sub-class C] eth0

webserver
eth0 203.46.211.42  [sub-class C]
eth1 192.168.8.1

Private LAN [192.168.8.0/255]

Does that make sense? Or would I be better off just forgetting about the
complications of masquerading to the private LAN and just use the IPs I've been
allocated for the workstations as well (I have enough IPs to do this with the
sub-class C at the moment -- though this may change)

In the meantime I want to get email working for my new domain. Can I use the IP
for my PPP connection (i.e. 139.130.141.98 in the above example) for the MX
record?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Murray Spork